ClockTower_ban1The Clock Tower, popularly reckoned as Ghanta Ghar, is the icon of Ludhiana metropolitan. Inaugurated on October 19, 1906 by Sir Charles Montgomery; the then Lt- Governor of Punjab and Deewan Tek Chand; the then Deputy Commissioner – Ludhiana, the Victoria Memorial Clock Tower has today become the prime landmark and the representative emblem of the city. This clock tower had been erected marking the occasion of the silver jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign. Victoria Memorial Clock Tower had be renamed as ‘Bhagwan Mahavir Clock Tower’ by Giani Zail Singh; the then chief minister of the state, giving in to the insistence of the Jain community of Ludhiana. However, all these names are now forgotten and the clock tower is only known by the name Ghanta Ghar. Located near the railway station in Chaura Bazar, the clock tower comprises the center of the city. The original clock installed by British had to be wound manually.
As it had worn out, the old clock was replaced by a new electronic clock just 12 years back. Apart from being the heart of Ludhiana city, the clock tower also suffices as the pivot of all commercial and political activities of Ludhiana. Even though there are many clock towers both in Punjab as well as in other states of India, Ludhiana is especially renowned as the city of Ghanta Ghar. This clock tower could be seen from almost every where in Ludhiana in early 20th century and people used to match their watches with the time of Clock Tower. But now, as the city is submerged with innumerable sky scrappers, the visibility of Ghanta Ghar has been limited. This clock tower is today maintained by the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation.